Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Let's See...Do I Vote to Pay More Taxes?

Do I want to give more of my money to the state of California? Do I want to play in traffic?

If I'm not right upstairs, the answer to both questions would be yes.

Yet that is what the voters of California will decide come November. Four--count 'em, four propositions--are on the November ballot. Each one of them proposes to take more money out of my pocket and into the hands of the California legislators.

You've probably heard the saying about giving money to legislators. It's like giving whiskey and car keys to teenagers: it's a disaster waiting to happen (no disrespect to teenagers intended).

What are the noble causes the California legislators want to fund by raising taxes? Let's take a look:

  • Proposition 86--this one wants to slap an additional $2.60-per-pack tax on cigarettes to fund such noble causes as hospitals, smoking prevention plans, and cigarette regulation. Now I don't smoke; never have, never will. But have you ever tried to trail where all the tax money collected on cigarettes over all these years have gone? It was supposed to have gone to hospitals, smoking prevention plans, and cigarette regulation. Last time I checked, emergency rooms were closing in San Diego county. Last time I checked, there are still plenty of people smoking. Last time I checked, cigarettes are still being sold (but not to minors). Yeah, that's fixing the problems caused by cigarette smoking. Something tells me that tax money hasn't really gone for smoking-related health issues. Why would I want to give the government more money from cigarettes?
  • Proposition 87--This one's a beauty! An additional tax on producers of oil extracted in California to fund a $4 billion program to reduce petroleum consumption by 25 percent and to help produce "alternative fuels." Even though gas prices are "down" (I still think they're too high), don't you remember watching those numbers spin on the gas pump this summer when you filled up? Why are prices down? Simple economics: there's more gas available for sale now than there was this summer. More supply means lower prices. Do you think oil companies are going to keep producing gasoline and pay a higher tax to do so? Neither do I. That would mean less gasoline available for sale. When the supply is lower, guess what? Prices go higher. I for one do not want to pay more money for gas.
  • Proposition 88--Every time our education system is mentioned, our heartstrings are pulled upon. We all want better schools. Yet California ranks at the top in money spent per student, but at the bottom in test scores. But that doesn't stop our legislature. They still think the answer is more money. So they want to slap an additional $50 on your property taxes. Doesn't sound like much, does it? But if this passes, where will the tax increases stop? What will all the money be used for? I can tell you what it won't be used for: improving the California public education system.
  • Propositon 89--This one will slap a 2 percent income tax increase on corporations and financial institutions to fund political campaigns. Sounds good: tax those rich corporations. But those corporations also include the small business owners, the Mom and Pop businesses; they will have to pay an additional 2 percent tax on the money they make. How many businesses will leave the state if this tax passes? If you think the business climate in California is bad now, watch how bad it gets if this proposition passes.

The Bible tells me that I'm supposed to be a good steward of what God gives me. Taking money and giving it to people who waste more money in one year than I will ever make in my lifetime doesn't qualify as good stewardship. I'm voting "no."

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home